Hello friends and family. I hope all is well with you and your families. Sorry for taking so long to get you this update. I think it has been 3 months since Chelly wrote the last update, so bare with me as I inform you about all the fun we have had.
First of all I want to thank all of you for reading our updates and praying for us over the years. In January it will be 4 years of ministry here in Costa Rica. We have seen a lot of people come and go in that short time. We are thankful to have the time with them and pray that they are able to continue in the faith despite their surroundings. There are so many things that distract them and choke them out in this town. Things like drugs, alcohol, bad parents (as far as always looking for another person to “love”), lustful desires, the need to please men, bad doctrine, ect. I know this is all over the world but I wanted to give some specifics that you can pray for. So please continue to pray for those the Lord is bringing to us.
I am going to do the bullet list of things that have happened here over the last few months. It makes the update shorter and I think easier to read.
• We have been in contact with an indigenous community about 2 hours from the church. We were planning on having an outreach to the children in this community but ended up not having the manpower and finances needed, along with other politics in the community. We are, however, going to go down there in 2 weeks to meet with a family that we met on one of our trips. This family has 3 boys that are all mentally handicap. The parents are both alcoholics and have deserted the boys leaving their aunt to take care of them. They live in a humble little home in the jungle with other relatives close by. When we were there last time we met with the aunt, Natividad, to see what she needed for the boys and herself. So in a couple of weeks we hope to take her the stuff she needs for the boys. Please pray that this will open the door to be able to share with her. The last time we were there she was very cautious and closed because we told her that we were Christians. So we will see what the Lord has planned for her and us.
• Carlos and Sona are doing great! They were able to go with us to visit Natividad and talk with her. Also Carlos has been going with Darwin to minister to the ex-drug addicts at Hogar Crea. It has been wonderful seeing this couple grow in Christ. Please be praying for their children, that they all might come to the faith as well.
• Continue to pray for all the guys at Hogar Crea (the drug rehabilitation center). Darwin has been doing a great job of teaching the guys through the book of Galatians. We are trying to figure out how to spend more time with those that have excepted Christ. Hogar Crea has a very strict schedule so they are only able to give us once a night every week with the guys, but we will see what the Lord has planned.
• We were blessed by a family that came down from Honduras for a week. Eric and his wife Chyo with their 2 children had to leave Honduras for a week because of visa issues. Eric is a pastor of a Calvary Chapel and also was one of my parent’s students in Juarez, Mexico for 2 years. While here, Eric built us a beautiful pulpit and Chyo made some great Mexican food!
We were very thankful for their visit and hope to see them again.
• After a very busy 2 months I have finished teaching apologetics to five American students here in Costa Rica. I had a great time teaching them, but I am very happy to have my mind back in the ministry here. I appreciate the opportunity to teach given by Ryan the director of the Bible College here in Costa Rica.
• As some of you know we had a girl, by the name of Bailey, come down from the States to start a Kids Club every Saturday morning. To get the Kids Club started we had 2 Kid Festivals (aka VBS) that Bailey organized. She did a great job of bringing in the kids and teaching them. It is sad to say but Bailey had to go back to the States last month. It was great having her help and we hope she is able to come back someday.
In the church we have a couple new faces that have been coming regularly. A guy by the name of German has been coming with his daughter Bianca. We met German in the park and talked to him about Gods love for him. After that he has been joining us on Sundays, and he tells us that he is really enjoying the study because he is being challenged. Also one of the guys that Darwin and Gerry met in Crea has been coming to the studies as well. He is also enjoying his time with the church. Last night he told us how he felt he needed to be in a place that teaches the Word as it is. Please pray that he (Wendel) and German continue to come and be challenged.
We are excited about the next 2 months because of what we have planned. Like I said before we will be going to the indigenous family again. We also plan on having our annual tamale cook and hand out. Also we have the church Christmas party complete with fireworks. My (Curtis) parents are also going to be here from the 14th to the 28th. Thank you so much for keeping up with us over the years. I will write another update after the holidays to let you know how everything went; so happy holidays from all of us here serving the Lord in Costa Rica. If you want more details or would like to chat with us please email us and let us know.