Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Moving On...

It is with deep sorrow that I write this last update from Costa Rica. I have put it off for some time that I might focus on the growth rather than the pain of the last 2 years. I hope that this blog serves as an encouragement to those of you passing through hard times. I hope to focus on the character change the Lord blesses us with in those times of pain, rather than focus on those things that cause the pain. I am at a point now in my walk with Christ that I have truly cast all my cares on Him, and have found refuge in the promise of Psalm 147:3 “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” I pray that all of you may be comforted in your trials. After 5 years of service to the Costa Ricans and various American CCBC students/staff, it has come to our attention that it is time to move on. We had planned to serve here for the rest of our lives if that is what the Lord desired of us. However, due to recent information concerning those sent to help, along with church politics, we are forced to move on to ensure that the ministries started will continue unto the glory of God. We want to make it clear that we harbor no hard feelings towards those involved. What has been done is in the past and now we press on with more wisdom than before to the glory of God. Both Chelly and I are very grateful for these trials we have faced because of the extreme growth it has brought to our lives. We have been exposed to the reality of God’s grace. Through the testing of trials God’s grace has been reveled over and over again. While here in Costa Rica I have failed in many ways. At times I have not been a good husband, father, and family member. I have failed many times at being that spiritual leader others sought, I have frequently questioned my calling (as I am sure my critics were quick to do as well, lol), at times I have not been a good friend, I have been selfish and judgmental, I have been quick to think the worst (also known as being negative), and the list goes on. But you know what is great about seeing all these short comings? I can now look at my life and see what I fall short in during stressful times. I can now see the things that I must put before my Savior daily. I can now recognize that I am truly hopeless apart from Christ. Before I covered these things up so that I could convince myself that I was worthy to be a Pastor and Missionary (without trials this is very easy to do). But every trial that I have faced has driven me to see what kind of man I really am. So many times I felt I was just in my attitude and actions because of the injustice that was happening to me and my wife. It has been a joy to look back and see how much the Lord has cared for me by showing me my many faults. Psalms 39:11 “When with rebukes you correct man for iniquity, you make his beauty melt away like a moth; surely every man is vapor.” Oh, it is so good to be in Jesus where the “moth” is not the end of the story. Now we look forward to the work he has prepared for us in a different place. 1 Peter 5:10 “And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.” (I should state here that we in no way are trying to compare our suffering to others or think that we have suffered much. All we wish to do is encourage through the Word and through our walk with Christ.) We are thankful to the Lord for making us into more useable tools in His hands and pray the same might happen with you. We have seen many lives changed through the power of Christ over the years. It has been an exciting testimony to His power to make the selfish sinner into a selfless saint; to change the prideful man into the humble servant and the vain woman into a cherished jewel. It is so awesome to be a part of His ministry and to know that our labor is not in vain (1 Cor 15:58). We are thankful that there are others here who will continue the work and lead the believers to the truths of Christ, that they also might produce fruit. Please continue to pray for those who will lead, pray for their protection that they would not fall into their own pride. Pray that they would grow in their leadership skills and that they would not become unloving, critics of those around them. Pray that while they continue in grace they might be able to also give grace as well. We have had many future options presented to us and look forward to more. For now we will be returning to the States on the 30th of May and working with my parents in Juarez, Mexico. So we will not be leaving the “mission field”, we are just relocating. We plan on being with my parents for 3 to 6 months, or more time if needed, to help their ministry, Servant Senders, and also to help my dad build a garage and apartment. Once we have completed our work there we will see where the Lord leads us next (there may be a future opportunity to return to Costa Rica). We ask that you pray for us as we make this transition. We have put down many roots here with the people and it has been very hard to tell them we are leaving…many tears have been shed. We have a lot of work ahead of us in selling all that we own and moving the family back to the States. We treasure all of you and are so grateful for your sacrifices over the past 5 years. To those who support us financially we ask that you would continue with us as we are not leaving the mission field, we are just relocating. As many of you know when there are changes in leadership or transferring of Missionaries there also tends to be rumors and thoughts that follow, which may not be accurate. So we ask that if you have heard rumors please speak with us, as we would be happy to give our perspective in the most responsible way. Be blessed and keep fighting the good fight. We look forward to seeing many of you in Colorado as we have plans on taking a trip in June or July. For those of you in California we would like to see you around the first part of June. We will give you the dates as the time draws closer. In our Savior, Curtis and Chelly